Almost forget to forward this. Thumper is what we bought.

--
Wei Yang  |  [log in to unmask]  |  650-926-3338(O)

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ernst, Michael
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 2:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [Usatlas-grid-l] Sun Thumper / ZFS features vs. other disk storagesolutions

All,

 since we had some discussion about disk storage solutions during today’s meeting I’d like to add some key points regarding features, fault tolerance, and data integrity on Thumper running Solaris 10 (11/06) with ZFS that one should consider when looking for products:

1. ZFS is a 128-bit filesystem that incorporates high-performance volume manager functionality up to and including double-parity RAID-60 (RAID-Z2) which dynamically stripes across RAID-6 sets for maximum throughput.

2. ZFS offers copy-on-write (COW) and end-to-end checksumming. COW means that live data is never overwritten.  A ZFS storage pool is a tree of blocks (Merkle Tree).  256-bit checksums are stored in the parent block pointer instead of the data block.  Every block in the tree contains the checksums for all its children so the entire pool is self-validating.

There are multiple checksum copies for the uberblock (the root of the tree).   ZFS uses this mechanism to detect and correct silent data corruption.

So, what it means is, data that is read is always verified against the checksum and only the correct data is delivered to the application.

3. An Object-based transactional I/O stack allows for grouped or "batched" I/O (schedule and aggregate I/O at platter speed).  All-or-nothing commits == always consistent data on disk == no journal needed.

4. Intelligent pre-fetch streaming detects any linear access pattern forward and backward and attempts to sequentialize the I/O.

--

   Michael