Hi Derrick,

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Derek Feichtinger wrote:

> Could you check these in?
Everything is finally checked in. Sorry fo the mess.

> A further question:  Is my choice of shire05.slac.stanford.edu as a reference
> build system ok, or should I use another host at slac? What compiler
> environment should I use?
Well, tying yourself to any particular node is bad since the OS
version will change without warning (shire05 is Solaris 5.8 which is
outdated). As SLAC keeps systems identical other than OS release patch
level, you can pick any shire based on the OS you need and work out of
AFS. Some examples:

shire01 - Solaris 5.10
shire05 - Solrais 5.8

flora01 - Solaris 5.9
flora02 - Solaris 5.10 (as are flora03 through flora05)

So best to use the flora's as they are more current.

> I think I can make an improved build structure for the autobuild. Also I have
> begun writing the beginning of some test scripts, which will make some basic
> functionality tests upon "make check" (start up a daemon, copy files, then
> try more difficult configurations where the modules get loaded). This may be
> a help to the maintainer/distributor, since in autotools you can use the
> special target "make distcheck", which will generate a distribution tarball,
> test building in a sandbox area, test compliance with DESTDIR for package
> generators like RPM, and finally run the tests.
OK, let me know when that is done.

Andy