Hi Joern,

In xrootd login/authentication is done at level of physical connection;
I am not sure of the documentation you refer to, but I believe that is
quite natural to have those actions at Connect() level.
Moreover, that is the place where client first sees the server, so there
is no way to know in advance whether a server requires authentication.
The username can be set via the env XrdSecUSER, but there is not way to
set the password, except via the autologin file.

Having said that, I think I see your problem but I am not sure that we
can have a solution without some changes.

I guess that what you would like to have is the possibility to enter a
password via some graphic interface, like a password box or a direct
connection to your GUI.

The password is prompted for via a call to XrdSutGetPass; it was some what
foreseen to have this configurable, a sort of hook to alternatives; but for
the time being this is not yet the case.
One possible solution is that we enable this feature, so that you can pickup
your own XrdSutGetPass where you do what you need.

Let me know what you think.

Gerri