Hi, Fabrizio

On Thursday 31 May 2007 10:51, Fabrizio Furano wrote:
>   I was just checking the compilation on shire01, and everything was
> fine, except for the missing XrdPss.
>
>   Personally, I don't consider one Solaris machine more important as
> another as a "reference build system". I just try to compile in more
> than one from time to time.

Sure. But I think it would be nice to have a number of reference systems on
which every release candidate gets tested before a release, so you really
know that it should run there. Solaris compilers went through a lot of
changes in how they treat templated code, so it can easily happen that you
fail with an older one.

In autotools the best thing is to have a source directory on a shared
filesystem accessible by the machines with the reference architectures. Then
for every architecture to test you issue a "make distcheck". This will

- generate a distribution tarball
- unpack the tarball in a sandbox and build it
- test the installation process
- make sure that "make DESTDIR=" works. This is important for package builders
- run the test suite (I am just writing a few tests)
- make sure that "make uninstall" leaves no files (but this is less important,
since almost never used)

I use this for Linux and Solaris builds at SLAC, because machines of both
architectures have access to the afs there.

With the right setup and access to machines at CERN one could even automate
this further.

Cheers,
Derek