Hi Gerri,

thanks for the fast answer. My feeling is also, that one needs to do
some changes to make the code also usable in a GUI program.

If XrdClientAdmin->Connect() would return for example (kXR_connected,
kXR_needsAuth, kXR_error) instead of a bool, and one implements a
environment variable / or parameter to disable the internal password
request, then, if XrdSecPWDAUTOLOG is set to 0, one can check on the
result of Connect, whether one has to ask the user for a user/password
combination.

In a second round, one could then call connect with enabled
authorization, using a callback to retrieve the password from the
internal stored one.

The autologon feature is not helpfully in my case, as I want to be able
to communicate with a xrootd server to which I do not have login access.

Joern