ATLAS SCCS Planning 18Jul2007
-----------------------------

  9am, SCCS Conf Rm A, to call in +1 510 665 5437, press 1, 3935#

Present: Wei, Richard, Booker, Stephen, Randy, Len

Agenda:

1. DQ2 Status/Web Proxy

    Not much information. No too much production. Kaushik is in India
    just now so getting jobs is a little slow.

2. Tier-2 Hardware

    Depending on where we put it it will depend if we want to optimise
    power per rack unit or per watt. Water cooled racks it would be per
    rack unit but for Black Box it would be power. Stephen is back at
    CERN tomorrow so should hopefully get some numbers for next week.

    We know the next purchase will be around $400k with 2/3 storage and
    1/3 CPU. About one rack of CPUs. Not sure if this will fit in the
    remaining space of the water cooled racks or that space will already
    be filled. If the latter happens it would probably go into a second
    Black Box.

3. AOB

    - Berkeley SRM

    Promised that they can provide an SRM gateway next week. Andy
    talked to them a month or two ago. They know what we have and what
    we'd like. They still need to do some more testing but sounds like
    it is nearly ready. Could replace the current gsiftp/posix
    interface we currently use.

    - End of SLC3

    CERN announced this is being end of line in September.

    RHEL3 has two or three years left. Issues to do with 32 or 64
    bit. ATLAS seems a speed up of 20-30% with 64 bit compiled
    applications but twice amount of memory is used.

    After nomas and toris are retired all machines will be 64 bit
    capable. Should perhaps concentrate on 64-bit way of doing things
    as that is the future.

Action Items:

070711	Stephen	Find out about benchmarks for CPUs for next purchase
 	070718 Not done yet.