Hello Patrick

Fabrizio answered already most of the question. I just have a few
comments.

If you have more then one partition that an xrootd server should serve you
should use the cache directive.
The cache is working by placing a file in a cache directory and creating a
link between this file and the proper file name. For example:
if the file name is /xrd/test/d1/file1 and your you use the the cache
directive
ooss.cache /xrd*
the file would be put (lets pick cache xrd2) into
    /xrd2/%xrd%test%d1%file1
and a link is created:
> ls -l /xrd/test/d1/file1 ->  /xrd2/%xrd%test%d1%file1

As you can see there are no directories in the cache. The file name in the
cache is the proper file name with all '/' replaced by '%'.

As xrootd will export /xrd you have to create a /xrd directory. I guess
this will not be in the '/' root partition but in one of you data
partition (/xrd1 /xrd2) and therefore you will need a link.
  /xrd -> /xrd1

However, in this case, doing an 'ls /xrd' would list all files in /xrd1
which could be quite large depending how many files you have. Therefore,
you might want to have a link like
  /xrd -> /xrd1/xrd
In this case 'ls /xrd' would not list the files in the /xrd1 cache.

Another possibility would be to make the cache directories a little bit
more explicit. Mount your two partitions as:
/xrd
/xrd/cache1
and create the directory
/xrd/cache0
and then use
ooss.cache /xrd/cache*

I hope these comments helped a little bit.

   Cheers,
       Wilko