Andy,

Thanks a lot for the advice!
I'll try the "olb.shed" option.
Perfect spread is not really required - approximate equipartition of
datasets is good enough.

Is it possible to add a "rebalance" tool to the xrootd set of utilities?

When I extended existing farm with brand new nodes, my new datasets are
all directed to new machines, since disks there are empty.
As I understand "opt.sched" will solve the problem for new datasets.
Great.

But it would be nice to redistribute/rebalance the old datasets over the
whole extended farm.

I guess, for pure xrootd configuration it doesn't really matter that
much, but I'm working with PROOF farm.
And for PROOF local data placement is important.

This would be a great addition to Xrootd and a big help for admins of
PROOF clusters.

Cheers,
	Sergey