Hi Martin,

  well, nothing prevents you guys from going that way. But this is just to
say that, at least from my perspective, a more productive path would be to
write one or two plugins for xrootd and attach it to a vanilla dCache. Then
it would become just a question of bundling, but we have now much
experience for that kind of stories (ROOT, Alien, Aliroot, Castor, PROOF,
...), and we saw typically what's good to do and what's not. From a tech
point of view of course.

  For the plugins, well, there's already some people doing dCache-xrootd
interactions with the mps scripts. The Alice computing model itself could
steer towards such possibilities. A plugin-based thing would be much more
efficient and self-contained. After all, around there are guys writing
plugins for many things, so why not a serious one for dCache?

  By the way, PROOF itself is based on xrootd+some plugins which make the
servers do completely different things with respect to handling a massive
storage.

  Obviously this choice is not up to me, and you can count on my support
anyway to use the xrootd protocol. Just a matter of efficience, manpower
and experiences which we could join eventually.

  Fabrizio