Hi Fabrizio,

   assume a small rack of 20 1U/2U dual-quad-cores + 8 disks each. Such a
rack can process: 20 * 8 * 15 = 2.4GB/s  (15MB/s ROOT compressed file
reading speed, I/O bound query). Now such a rack would need a switch with a
  dual 10GB uplink to get just 2 GB/s in over the network. Now add another
couple of such racks. You would need a disk pool + a lot of 10GB eth
equipment per rack. You still think it scales better than having disks
close to the CPU's?

Cheers, Fons.

--
Org:    CERN, European Laboratory for Particle Physics.
Mail:   1211 Geneve 23, Switzerland