Hello,

I'm very pleased to announce that the science-databaseResearch
meeting held at Asilomar earlier this week was a GREAT success.
Essentially, we managed to agree on a common set of database
features that science community needs. In response, the database
research community led by Mike Stonebraker and David DeWitt
proposed to build a new open source DBMS to address these needs.

The set of requested features is documented at:
https://xldb.slac.stanford.edu/display/XLDB/SciDBMS

We are currently working on solidifying science participation,
detailed spec of the "sciDBMS", funding, location for this new
startup, etc. A report from the meeting will be available shortly.
More information will follow soon.

Best regards,
Jacek

--