Hi, very good question, indeed.

  In general for xrootd-related tech things there are no data protocol
backward incompatibilities, so, in general we apply the principle "the
newer the better", since we almost never stop finding small bugs here and
there, and ew keep on developing new things.

  So, the general answer, but valid just for this time is to use the latest
one if you know how to setup it manually. This (from my standpoint) is
valid just now because I am (also...sic) working on xrd-installer, in order
to put its content in shape and with all the latest goodies for ALICE.

  BTW, the newest snapshot contains a couple of fixes (both client and
server) which are supposed to solve an annoying stability problem, which
was in most of the cases (but not all cases) hidden by the fault tolerance.

  Hence, this will be the overall direction. The general difficulty with
ALICE setups is that they do not need just the plain xrootd setup.

  If you are tempted by the latest versions, I can only encourage you to
experiment, and give my support. Typically the ROOT bundle is quite
up-to-date, but now we have a better way to get the bleeding edge stuff,
i.e. download the tarballs from the new web page.

  Today, at 14:00 Andy Hanushevsky will have an IT seminar here at CERN,
his slides will announce this sort of info-point at CERN about Scalla and
xrootd, available since... today!

  Fabrizio