Hi Michael,

We have been talking about using OSG/VDT channel for Bestman, xrootd for
a while, but lack of concrete progress. I supposed you are referring to
the SRM and xrootd, not just the SRM (bestman-xrootd)?

For VDT packaging: we would like to see VDT distributes

1. Bestman. This includes. full Bestman and Bestman-gateway (formerly
bestman-xrootd) in one package.
2. binary distribution of Xrootd, including Xrootd, the CNS component
for Xrootd, the gridftp component for xrootd and XrootdFS.

It is likely that the binary distributions (including java-byte code)
won't cover all OS platforms supported by OSG.

There are many ways to configure them. So providing sample
configurations for a minimum Tier 3 site, a large site maybe useful.

a. For a minimum Tier 3 site, Xrootd and its CNS and Gridftp components
maybe enough.
b. For a large site, configuration of xrootd and bestman, including
space token usage could be provided.

For support, OSG storage group could be the place asking for help. For
bestman and xrootd specific issues, sub-mailing lists and/or ticketing
system of OSG storage group can be used to redirect to experts. I think
both SLAC and LBNL are weak in terms of providing manpower on support.
So mailing lists to the developer and experienced user community may
better serve ordinary users. (At some point, workshops can be held to
develop best practice for users)

I would also like to see OSG classifies Bestman into the SRM, along with
other SRM implementations, in OIM, VORS, configure-osg.py, etc. We have
seen users get confused about where they should register their storage
elements, especially those who are using bestman-xrootd/gateway with
non-xrootd storages.

let me know if you need further info.

regards,

Wei Yang  |  [log in to unmask]  |  650-926-3338(O)