For those would like to know a bit more on exactly what will be going on for the first LHC beam day of Sep/10, the announcement below has some details.

Su Dong

From: Katie Yurkewicz [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 2008?9?3? 6:38 AM
To: Jimmy Proudfoot; John Rutherfoord; [log in to unmask]; Jim Bensinger; Howard Gordon; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; George Brandenburg; [log in to unmask]; Harold Ogren; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Stephane Willocq; Frank Taylor; Homer A. Neal; Bernard G. Pope; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Jim Brau; Hugh Williams; [log in to unmask]; Su, Dong; [log in to unmask]; Milind Vasant Purohit; Kaushik De; Joe Izen; Krzysztof Sliwa; [log in to unmask]; Greg Landsberg; [log in to unmask]; Jay Hauser; [log in to unmask]; James Branson; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; James Alexander; [log in to unmask]; Lothar Bauerdick; [log in to unmask]; Marc Baarmand; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Alice Bean; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Neeti Parashar; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Paul Sheldon; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Henry Lubatti; Jennifer Klay; Michael Cherney; Peter Jacobs; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Thomas Humanic; Douglas Johnson; [log in to unmask]; John W. Harris; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Steve Peggs; Steve Holmes; [log in to unmask]; Markiewicz, Thomas Walter; Sacha E Kopp; Sheldon Stone; Cyrus Cooper Taylor; Jim Whitmore; Ken Bloom; Sridhara Dasu; [log in to unmask]; Christoph Paus; [log in to unmask]; Paul Avery; Raymond Brock; [log in to unmask]; Jim Shank; Yang, Wei
Cc: Lisa Mc Carthy; Kendra Snyder; Elizabeth Clements; Judy Jackson
Subject: LHC Startup Update

Greetings,

The following email including information about CERN and US plans for publicity on September 10, the LHC first beam day, was just sent to the public information officer at your institution. As I mentioned to the PIOs, if your institution plans an event of any sort for first circulating beam or first collisions, please feel free to send me the details and I will list it on the US LHC Web site (http://www.uslhc.us/first_beam).

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Regards,

Katie Yurkewicz

Greetings,

Preparations at CERN and at institutions across the U.S. are in full swing for the LHC first beam day on September 10. With the day only one week away, here is some information about CERN and US plans for publicity on the day, including a brief summary of plans for CERN's live broadcast and US LHC press release information.  I'll also do some publicity of my own for the LHC Startup information on the US LHC Web site (www.uslhc.us). If your institution plans an event to mark either the first beam or first collisions, please send me the details and I will add it to the list on the US LHC site (www.uslhc.us/first_beam).

As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Regards,

Katie Yurkewicz

CERN EVENT INFORMATION

If you haven't already done so, I encourage you to visit CERN's LHC First Beam webpage (http://www.cern.ch/lhc-first-beam/). The webpage has information about the live satellite broadcast and webcast that will be streaming from CERN on the 10th, long and short b-roll footage on all aspects of the LHC, and short interviews with LHC scientists.

In summary, the satellite broadcast and webcast will be available from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. CERN time (3:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Eastern). The first attempt to circulate a beam is planned to start shortly after 9:00 (all times now are CERN), and briefings from CERN will be issued about every hour thereafter: 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:30. At 17:45 a 15-minute recap containing highlights from the day will be aired. In addition to following events in the CERN Control Centre throughout the day, viewers will also visit the control rooms for the four main LHC experiments, see scientists in the U.S. following the events in their pajamas, and view pre-recorded clips, animations and interviews.

Those who wish to follow events live are strongly recommended to use the satellite feed if possible; there is an upper limit on the number of simultaneous webcast connections that may well be reached at some points during the day.

US LHC PRESS RELEASE

As soon as it is available, I will send a draft of a US LHC press release to be issued if beam successfully circulates in the LHC on September 10. The text will be yours to use as you wish, we request only that you wait until after CERN has issued its release before sending out your own.

US LHC MATERIALS AVAILABLE

A set of US LHC fact sheets is now available on the web: http://www.uslhc.us/The_US_and_the_LHC/Fact_Sheets

The set is now four sheets (US and LHC, US and ATLAS, US and CMS, list of US LHC Participating Institutions), but will grow to 6 later today and to 10 by early next week. PDF versions are available on the Web, .doc versions are available on request. We also hope to have a set of US LHC posters available online early next week for download.

Katie Yurkewicz, Ph.D.

US LHC Communications

CERN

Office 4-1-052