During the September US analysis jamboree, users almost brought down our
entire storage system because of a bug in the root package bundled in ATLAS
releases. I believe that is the cause of lower reliability.

This only happens are SLAC because we are the only one experimenting
directly xrootd reading (other sites copy file to batch nodes first). With
the help of Andy H., and folks at CERN and BNL, we found the reason and a
workaround. We also asked all our local users to use this workaround to
prevent similar situation.

https://hypernews.cern.ch/HyperNews/Atlas/get/SLACNonGridJobs/111.html

We believe the bug has been fixed in root >=5.20 and we hope future ATLAS
releases will bundle that one.

Wei Yang  |  [log in to unmask]  |  650-926-3338(O)