US University Linear Collider Detector R&D Funding

Since the FY09 federal budget process is stretched out, the
agencies have not yet determined what funding will be possible
for US university linear collider detector R&D in FY09. Nevertheless,
the LoI groups are developing their R&D plans, which will be
submitted as part of the LoI process in March, 2009.

We have been considering how to prepare to seek funding that
might become available in FY09.  We encourage groups that want
to propose work for ILC detector R&D to begin now to sketch out
their proposals.  They might consider funding needs for up to a
three year period on a specific topic for a given project proposal.
Proponents should prepare to express how a given proposal relates
to the R&D plans of the ILC detector letters of intent, and to the
efforts in the labs. We will provide a mechanism to collect
these proposals, similar to what we have done in past years.
We envision a due date for these project proposals around
mid-January.

However, the submission to the agencies will differ from past
years. Based on the collected project proposals from university
groups, we will ask the LoI groups to submit proposals to both
agencies for support of the work of the appropriate proposals for
their LoI.  The LoI groups should express the relative priorities
of the proposed efforts.

We will follow this message with more guidance in the ensuing
weeks. The due date for the proposals from the LoI groups could
be as early as mid-February.

Jim Brau and Mark Oreglia