Dear Colleagues,
 As most of you may have heard, the FY 2009 Omnibus spending
bill was passed by the Senate and signed by the President.

Attention now focuses on the FY 2010 Budget Proposal.

Secretary of Energy Chu spoke before the Senate Committee on
Energy and Natural Resources on March 5.

Some excerpts from his presentation touching on the FY 2010
budget proposal:

"
I also strongly believe that the key to our prosperity in
the 21st century lies in our ability to nurture our intellectual
capital in science and engineering.
First, we need to increase funding.
As part of the President's plan to double federal investment in
the basic sciences, the 2010 Budget provides substantially
increased support for the Office of Science, building on the
$1.6 billion provided in the Recovery Act for the Department
of Energy's basic sciences programs.
"

The full transcript is available at:

http://energy.senate.gov/public/_files/ChuTestimony030509.pdf

Video of the hearing is available at:

http://energy.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?Fuseaction=Hearings.LiveStream&Hearing_id=aa73d7c2-b769-9950-6c6d-71c60fd14096
(Please note that the hearing starts 22:28 into the video.
You can use the scrub bar at the bottom of the Flash Player to advance.)

Secretary Chu also spoke before the Senate Budget Committee.
The transcript of that presentation is available at:

http://budget.senate.gov/democratic/testimony/2009/3-11-09%20Final%20Testimony%20(Chu).pdf

Video is available at:
http://www.senate.gov/fplayers/CommPlayer/commFlashPlayer.cfm?fn=budget031109&st=900

President Obama recently announced his intent to nominate Kristina
M. Johnson for Under Secretary of Energy. Details can be found
at:

http://www.energy.gov/news2009/7049.htm

Enjoy the weekend,
Norman Graf