Dear Colleagues,
 President Obama addressed the National Academy of Sciences this morning
at their 146th annual meeting. In his remarks he stressed, among a number
of things, the need for funding basic research, e.g.

"
And my budget doubles funding for the Department of Energy's Office of
Science which builds and operates accelerators, colliders, supercomputers,
high-energy light sources, and facilities for making nano-materials.
Because we know that a nation's potential for scientific discovery is
defined by the tools it makes available to its researchers.
"

An audio recording is available at:
http://nationalacademies.org/podcast/20090427.mp3

A video recording of the speech and photos will be available soon at the
Academy website.

A copy of the prepared statement can be found at the following Time magazine
website:

http://thepage.time.com/obama-remarks-at-the-national-academy-of-sciences/

Sincerely,
Norman Graf