Dear colleagues,

as you may know from the news, the Austrian Minister for Science &
Research, Dr. Johannes Hahn, has announced his determination to
terminate Austria's membership at CERN by the end of 2010.

This announcement was made 50 years after Austria has become a member
state, and at a time when we are ready to exploit the physics with the
LHC startup. It was made all of a sudden, and it constitutes a severe
blow for the whole HEP physicis community in Austria.

Minister Hahn's decision might also have a negative impact on particle
physics in other European countries, and ultimately on HEP worldwide,
affecting also projects not based at CERN, like the ILC.

We are fighting hard to stop this mistake, and I think "yes we can".
Thus, we are asking for your help to support our case. Please, sign
the "Petition SOS", calling on the Austrian Parliament not to endorse
Minister Hahn's proposal:

http://sos.teilchen.at/petition/

(English version is at the bottom of that page.

You may find more background information on our Institute's web page at

http://www.hephy.at/en/

where we invite you also to write a comment.

Please, feel free to forward this message to your colleagues.

Many thanks in advance for your support,
with best regards,
                                               Winfried "Winni" Mitaroff

P.S. Apologies if you receive this message more than once.

Winfried A. MITAROFF                           Phone:  +43-1-544 73
28-32
INSTITUTE OF HIGH ENERGY PHYSICS               Fax:
-54
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Nikolsdorfer Gasse 18
A-1050 VIENNA, Austria, EU                     Email: [log in to unmask]