Hi Sam,

  you should specify r/w in the export directive of the data server,
writing this:

xrootd.export /gridstore4 r/w

  Then please verify that you are specifying the correct localroot option.

  Moreover, the config files you wrote look really obsolete, and probably
valid for very old versions. My suggestion is to get a newer package and
refer to the online documentation to configure it. Things are much simpler
now, in the sense that fewer directives are needed.

  Depending on your preferences, there are two flavors of the bundle which
you can get: the vanilla one and the 'automatic all-in-one' one.
Respectively, you can find the first here:

  http://xrootd.slac.stanford.edu
  (or you can take the tarball from the last ROOT version)

and the second here:

  http://savannah.cern.ch/projects/xrootd

Fabrizio