Hello Sam

Could you check your config file and use
cms.allow .....
instead of cmsd.allow.

Otherwise your configuration should be fine. The xrootd should put your
file into the /gridstore file systems and there should be a link to these
files  in /disk/...

Can you write files directly to the data server?
for example is
  xrdcp somefile root://disk042.gla.scotgrid.ac.uk//disk/file1
working?
Are you using the xrootd port 2525? If so your xrdcp command should look
like:
  xrdcp somefile root://disk042.gla.scotgrid.ac.uk:2525//disk/file1

How big are your file systems and free space?  By default the cmsd
requires that the free space is 10GB or 2% what ever is larger. And if
there is no server with sufficient free space you will not be able to
write files through the redirector.

You could also turn on debugging:
cms.trace all
and send me the output and I could have a look at it.

Cheers,
   Wilko