Hi Wilko,

That's great - your version of my configuration works immediately
without the read-only problem I was having (and no other changes
needed.) The only tweak I needed was adding
xrootd.allow host disk042.gla.scotgrid.ac.uk
cmsd.allow host disk042.gla.scotgrid.ac.uk

So, now I'm trying something a little more advanced:
I replaced the all.export with

oss.cache public /gridstore0 xa
oss.cache public /gridstore1 xa
oss.cache public /gridstore2 xa

all.export /disk r/w

and added an
xrootd.allow host disk*.gla.scotgrid.ac.uk
cmsd.allow host disk*.gla.scotgrid.ac.uk

in place of the specific disk042

I then stuck identically configured xrootd + cmsd services on other
disk servers in this range, and could see them connecting to svr025
after bringing it's services back up.

I think that this should allow me to do

xrdcp somefile root://svr025.gla.scotgrid.ac.uk//disk/file1

and have the file1 actually be stored on one of the gridstore filesystems.
What actually happens is that I get:

No servers are available to write the file.

Which looks like something is confused somewhere?
Do I need to explictly tell xroot that it needs to use the cache as
the storage location for /disk related transfers?

Sam