Hey all,

I've been asked by a few folks about adding an Xrootd interface to the
file system we use locally, HDFS.  HDFS's security mechanism make it
so the only true way to be secure is to only allow access from within
the local cluster; I'd like to be able to securely export the file
system to ROOT-based applications running on the local campus (but not
transfer it across the world).  HDFS has a FUSE interface which
implements most of the POSIX API, but apparently not enough to have
xrootd work directly on top of it :)

However, HDFS has a pleasant, simple C interface:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/core/trunk/src/c++/libhdfs/hdfs.h

I'm trying to provide feedback to those who want it about how hard
this project would be.  Could someone help me determine:

1) What exactly would need to be implemented?  (I'm a bit new to
xrootd; I believe I'm looking at implementing a new subclass of OFS?)
2) What would be needed to do a minimal working prototype that I could
show to someone.
3) Is there a sample "simplest implementation" that I could base a
prototype off of?
4) What documentation exists to help me along the way?

Thanks!

Brian