Hi Brian,

  if I understood correctly it does not seem difficult. Just mount your fs
partitions into a server, install xrootd there and make it export those
partitions by hiding their prefix through the localroot setting.

  Imo the easiest way is to use the setup used by alice, pretty generic and
bundled. A pointer to the instructions is this one:

http://savannah.cern.ch/project/xrootd
or
http://alien.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/AliEn/HowToInstallXrootdNew

  Of course the option to start it manually and accessing the full
configuration is always ok. The docs are here:

http://xrootd.slac.stanford.edu

  Fabrizio