Dear Colleagues,
 The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and the Office of Science
and Technology Policy (OSTP) have issued a memorandum to the heads
of executive departments and agencies describing their vision for
science and technology priorities in the next budget request and
providing guidance on agency budget submissions.

Specifically:

"
Agencies should explain in their budget submissions how they will
redirect available resources, as appropriate, from lower-priority
areas to science and technology activities that address four practical
challenges and strengthen four cross-cutting areas that underlie
success in addressing all of them.

The four practical challenges are:

* Applying science and technology strategies to drive economic
  recovery, job creation, and economic growth;
* Promoting innovative energy technologies to reduce dependence
  on energy imports and mitigate the impact of climate-change
  while creating green jobs and new businesses;
* Applying biomedical science and information technology to help
  Americans live longer, healthier lives while reducing health
  care costs; and
* Assuring we have the technologies needed to protect our troops,
  citizens, and national interests, including those needed to
  verify arms control and nonproliferation agreements essential
  to our security.
"

The memo can be found online at:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/assets/memoranda_fy2009/m09-27.pdf