Hi Everyone,

SLAC is requiring all linux boxes to be upgraded by September 1 to the latest
RedHat kernels as shown here:

> A second very serious security vulnerability in the Linux kernel
> has come to light, requiring a second round of new kernels in as
> many weeks.  New kernels are available for both Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and Scientific Linux (SL) as follows.
>
>   RHEL3 & SL3: 2.4.21-60.EL
>   RHEL4 & SL4: 2.6.9-89.0.9.EL
>   RHEL5 & SL5: 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5

One of our linux boxes here at SLAC (mitbbr04.slac.stanford.edu) is maintained
manually by us (our other three boxes by SLAC).  I am not familiar with
linux OS maintenance, and although I could learn how to do it, I'd
rather not spend the time on it right now.

So, if no one objects, I plan to ask SLAC desktop services to take over
routine maintenance of this machine.  This will mean wiping the disk
and re-installing linux from scratch, then letting SLAC maintain it.

If anyone has an objection, let me know.

Thanks,
--Ray