I am having an issue with one of our data servers and it may be getting
overloaded with requests from clients.

The symptoms are that the load on the SRM machine will get very large
because threads there are talking through XrootdFS for various
connections to the dataserver.  Various activities related to Xrootd
will fail (SRM get's hung, gridftp servers won't send data).

When logged into the dataserver and running strace on the xrootd service
I see that it has a problem in accept() because of too many open files.

If I do a netstat I see that xrootd is holding a large number of sockets
in a CLOSE_WAIT state.

I am trying to understand if the problems that I am seeing are because
the limits (1024 open FD's) given to xrootd are too small or if the
problem with xrootd is that the service is too overloaded and this is
causing xrootd to hang on to too many sockets.

Regards,

Patrick