On Sep 17, 2010, at 8:41, Dirk Duellmann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> since the last call I had a look at several existing project policies and it seems to me that
> classical major.minor.patch structure should work well and most users will
> have a reasonable expectation what a version change means. For a more formal definition
> of the change semantics in each number we could maybe adapt eg the simple approach
> described on
> http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html

This also seems reasonable to me. (I think the date-time scheme was my
fault^H^H^H^H^Hidea, and was only really meant for the very early period,
now years ago, in xrootd development when only a few places deployed it
and usually were very close to the latest version. A more standard scheme is long
since due!)

                                  Pete

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland