Currently the file path is limited to <2kb because XrdOucErr is used as an object for redirection.
struct XrdOucEI      // Err information structure
{
 static const size_t Max_Error_Len = 2048;

Is there any objection/problem to increase this? Because as far as I understood the path is not really limited in the protocl but in the redirection mechanism?!?!?

I run quickly into trouble because experiments use very long path names and I also need to add some opaque information which is included in the 2kb.

Cheers Andreas.