Yes, indeed. The autotools build is broken on 64 bits Macs because,
contrary to the assumption of the autoconf script, the compiling
toolchain supports three architectures there and not just two. You can
workaround this problem by disabling the perl interface if you don't
need it (--disable-perlint parameter of the configure script) or by
using the classical build. There are also two other problems with the
autotools stuff. The first one is the missing libtoolize binary called
from the bootstrap.sh script (on Mac it's called glibtoolize). Also,
the autotools build tries to link the xrootd binary to a dynamically
loadable module which results with a linking error. On Mac there is a
clear distinction between loadable modules and shared libraries which
is not the case for the ELF systems where both are the same and this
is why this problems has been introduced and not spotted earlier.
Anyways, thanks for reporting. I will be fixing that on Monday.

Cheers,
   Lukasz