On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Fons Rademakers
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  with MacOS X 10.6 this distinction between shared library and dynamic
> library has disappeared. One can just build, like on Linux, shared libraries
> that can be used either at link time or loaded at run-time. So that should
> simplify the issue, as long as autotools takes this into account too. But I
> see that Alden is still using 10.4, ouch, that's old man.

Hi Fons,

   well, it actually fails for me on my 10.6.4 macbook, with the
linker complaining that I try to link against a loadable module... but
that's probably the fault of outdated binutils or something like that.
I will take a closer look.

> In general though I would in this day and time stay away from autotools as
> far as I can as they are in general the most horrendous, ugly, complicated
> and SLOW build hack in existence.

   I agree, and I think there is a general consensus in the community
about that. It's just that not everyone agrees that there is an
alternative ;)

> For a fairly straight forward project like xrootd I
> would move the build system to cmake, or keep the by now fine tuned gmake
> file build system.

   That was one of the ideas that I wanted to discuss with Andy at
some point. Anyways, for now I still want to have the autotools
working because the classical build does not seem to support parallel
builds and doesn't work at all with coverity.

Cheers,
   Lukasz