Hi Everyone,

** NOTE NEW CALL-IN INFORMATION BELOW **

Our next weekly LQS meeting is at 2 PM Eastern time Thursday, October 14.

We'll discuss the article in Nature Physics 6, 744 (2010) on "Emergent complex
neural dynamics" by Dante Chialvo.  This article discusses some half-dozen
issues at the frontiers of neuroscience studies of the brain.  Emergent behavior
arising from the interactions of the 100 billion neurons and 100 trillion
synapses is considered.  The article is attached.  You can also download it from
http://dmtpc.mit.edu/MaKaC/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=445.

Meeting info:

 Dial-in:
    SLAC is transitioning to a new conference system.  Dial-in is now toll-free
    from both the U.S. and most countries.  Instructions:

    Passcode: 3144955
    From the U.S or Canada: toll-free 866-740-1260.
    Int'l dial-in (toll-free): visit
    http://www.readytalk.com/support/international-numbers.php

    If you are the first person to call in, it will give you an opportunity
    to enter a chair person code after the passcode.  Until someone enters
    the chair code, everyone is kept on hold and we can't talk to each other.

    The chair code is 5639.
    Note that when the chair leaves the conference, the call ends, and
    everyone remaining on the line will be disconnected.

Agenda:

 1) Round-table reports.
 2) Discussion of arXiv:1009.4184

Thank you,