I think a standard case is that a manger is visible inside and outside, while the server's aren't. Only the open (+ everything afterwards running on open files read,write,truncate.sync,close etc.) should go through an extra IO gateway (Proxy) while the rest can be handled by the manager in the same way for internal and external clients. The only thing to proxy is the direct IO on open files ... and the locate function of a file from outside should point to the gateway.

Cheers Andreas.