OK, the penultimate patch has been applied from Brian (thanks Brian -- but
you really need an account to do this :-) The only thing on my list is to
disable generating shared libraries in various packages via autotools.
It's not critical, if I get it done then could someone test it to see if
it actually still works? Anyway, if Gerri gets ahead that's ok.

Andy