Hi Andy,

Unfortunately, the entire reason we are doing the forking is so we can share 700MB per process using the 'copy on write' functionality of forking.  This requires us to not exec. To get that sharing we need to read information from the ROOT file in order to properly configure the job (i.e. read in the proper geometry, calibrations, etc).  ATLAS is also using this same forking trick. As for the rest of ROOT, we've been running just fine doing the forking just as long as we've told ROOT to only read from local files.

On Nov 23, 2010, at 4:05 PM, Andrew Hanushevsky wrote:

> OK, I completely misunderstood the context of the problem. Indeed, this is very messy and very difficult (and sometimes impossible) to solve. If you could do all your forks before calling any root code it would make life obviously simple. The next obvious question is that if you are running the exact same executable, why not exec it to get a clean copy? It doesn't prohibit any information passing from parent and sure simplifies things at a very low overhead.  That said, solving the issue in XrdClient (even if it's possible) won't solve any remaining issuese in the rest of the root package.

	Hope that better explains what we are trying to do,
		Chris

Christopher Jones
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory