Dear Colleagues

The XLDB event series is such a success and such a demonstration of the growing importance of XLDB research, that we decided it would be worthwhile to hold an additional XLDB satellite workshop in Europe, out of phase with the regular series.  This workshop is intended to engage European communities who have demanding research-data challenges and those who are leading R&D to address such challenges.

We are drawing on the resources of the e-Science Institute in Edinburgh, and its current Data-Intensive Research theme, to organise XLDB-Europe 2011 in Edinburgh, Scotland on the 9 & 10 June 2011; a particularly good time to visit Scotland.  This event will be collocated with a preceding open event in Edinburgh that is the concluding open workshop of the DIR theme and is carefully timed to be en route to Athens, for those going to SIGMOD.

We have started to assemble a PC and they will develop the outline programme, announcements and solicitation for contributions and support, early in 2011.  Their work in progress can be found on http://wiki.esi.ac.uk/XLDB-Europe_2011.  Detail topics and the anticipated format of the event will be displayed there by early February 2011.

We very much hope that many of you will put this date in your calendar and come to enjoy Edinburgh and contribute to developing the research and solution strategies at XLDB-Europe. The workshop is by invitation and we will send out the first round of invitations in January 2011.  If you would like an invitation, please email Malcolm Atkinson ([log in to unmask]). The immediately preceding DIR event is open to everyone and will conclude with a public session on the XLDB topics.

With best wishes

Malcolm Atkinson and Jacek Becla
--
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.