Dear Colleagues,
 As most of you may already know, another Continuing Resolution
was passed on Friday, which keeps the government running until
April 15. The budget deal which led up to this CR cuts spending
by $78.5 billion from the President's FY 2011 Budget request.
The details of the agreement will be finalized by Congress in the
coming week. How this affects basic research, science, or HEP is
difficult to say, but the White House has released some
information on its blog, specifically:

"We protected funding for critical programs that invest in science
programs, our kids' education, and critical health programs."

and

"Even though we will no longer double the funding of key research and
development agencies, you will still see strong investments in National
Institute of Standards and Technology, National Science Foundation and
the Office of Science."

The full blog posting, "Details of the Bipartisan Budget Deal," can be
found online at:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/04/09/details-bipartisan-budget-deal

Sincerely,
Norman Graf