Hi Andy,
2011/4/19 Andrew Hanushevsky <[log in to unmask]>:
> I don't have any inherent problems with this. However, how does that impact
> the root build and our synchronization with it?

   Well, Gerri tells me that the dev release will be cut as expected
(tomorrow), so there is no chance for this getting in. There is still
some time until the 5.30 release targeted for the end of June, so I
would cut this 3.0.4 release soon anyways, for the benefit of people
who use xrootd outside of ROOT, and then cut another release for
inclusion into the next ROOT release.

  Anyways, I will be on holidays since Friday until Monday (2th of
May), so I propose to cut 3.0.4 when I am back. In the mean time feel
free to commit whatever you want. We can create a branch from 3.0.3
later an cherry-pick the fixes.

> Also, could you explain a bit what "splitting the devel package into three
> separate packages" means in practice?

  Yes. I have submitted the package to be made available for
installation on the centrally managed user machines and the lxplus
clusters and the Linux Support team (responsible for this) sent back a
comment that the devel package (the one containing the header files)
should not depend on the server and fuse packages to be installed. The
rationale is that many users may want to do development against the
client libraries and they should not be forced to install the server
packages to do just that. The only way to make this possible is to
split the development package into three parts (xrootd-libs-devel,
xrootd-client-devel and xrootd-server-devel).

Cheers,
   Lukasz