Hi Adrian,

Doesn't seem to be a bug but a misunderstanding. I don't know what exists
does but whatever it does it probably asks xrootd to give it files that are
"only online"

root://rd.spacescience.ro:1094//>existfile
d4ee65fa-6166-11e0-b0a5-001cc4624d66
Error 3011: No servers are available to immediately read the file.

The above makes no claims whether the file exists or not just that it might
exist but is not immediately available because it may be offline.

The file exists.

root://rd.spacescience.ro:1094//>isfileonline
d4ee65fa-6166-11e0-b0a5-001cc4624d66
root://rd.spacescience.ro:1094//>

Again, I don't know what isfileonline does; but the file may now be online.
Only the server logs could tell us for sure.

so .. is there a problem with locating a file?

Doesn't seem to be. I'd say it's just the way these tools were written that
don't provide enough information to determine what the real state of the
file is.

xrootd version 20100510-1509_dbg (ALICE install)

I think the ALICE support team could provide more information about this.

Andy