	STAR has been applying preemptive reboot for years for that
reason (and other reasons of small tiny leaks here and there we have
observed).  This approach has been near flawless and brought greater
stability until recently (not sure why in 2011 and not before ... we
are using Xrootd in production mode since 2007) when we however
found, with help from Andy, this has caused another problem as reported
in http://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/?80880 (so beware and take care of a
similar patch).

	Hope this helps,

--