Hi Paul, Andy,

It is OK to point xrootdfs to a single data server. XrootdFS gets the public IP because that is what xrootd on the data server returns. As a xrootd client, XrootdFS it has no way to know the network configuration at the server side. You can verify this by doing

xrd private_IP locateall /scratch

I guess it will return public_IP:0. In general, xrootd server on the data server node return the IP address by checking the hostname against DNS server.

Andy, I seem to remember we have got several cases like this that a host has two NICs on private and public network. Is there any work around?

regards,
Wei Yang  |  [log in to unmask]  |  650-926-3338(O)