Hi Adrian,

I was the one who was performing these speed tests, so let me give a little bit of detail about them.

We had 6 file, each of size 1GB.  These files were placed one per tray on each of 6 trays of 15 2-TB disks in RAID-6.
The data server in question has 24GB of RAM, and a 10Gb ethernet link.

The test was performed from 100 worker nodes, which all attempted to read all six files in parallel.

As a note, it's unlikely that this was bottlenecked or affected by the RAID cards because it's pretty clear that all 6 files would easily fit in the kernel page cache.  So this is mostly a test of page-cache->xrootd->NIC throughput rather than RAID throughput.

I hope to do some more comprehensive testing which will include the RAID controller in the mix, but the interesting result here is simply that the softirqd symptom that Charles mentions was in fact our bottleneck, and when that was removed we were able to move our data at line speed.

-Aaron