Dear Colleagues:

At the end of 2012, the ILC GDE will submit the Technical Design
Report for the ILC accelerator.  At the same time, the ILC physics and detector community will submit its Detailed Baseline Design Report (DBD). This report will contain technical designs and benchmarking studies from the SiD and ILD concept groups.  It is appropriate that this report also update the ILC physics case, taking into account the new landscape of particle physics after the first two years of LHC results, and including the results of full-simulation benchmarking of Higgs boson and other important physics channels done for the detector LOI and DBD reports. This update will be presented in a Physics Chapter of the DBD report.

We invite all interested physicists to contribute to the Physics Chapter
of the DBD.  The writing of this chapter will be organized in topical
sections, each led by a pair of convenors.  An outline of the
chapter is given on the web page:

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~mpeskin/PhysicsChapter.html

To contribute to the work, please contact the convenors of the section most relevant to your interests:

  1.  W and Z:
           Tim Barklow (SLAC), Juergen Reuter (DESY)
  2.  e+e- -> 2 fermions:
           Yuanning Gao (Tsinghua), Maxim Perelstein (Cornell)
  3   top quark:
           Andrei Nomerotski (Oxford), Andre Hoang (Vienna)
  4.  Standard Model Higgs:
           Keisuke Fujii (KEK), Heather Logan (Carleton)
  5.  Extended Higgs sectors:
           Klaus Desch (Bonn), Shinya Kanemura (Toyama)
  6   Supersymmetry and other new spectroscopy:
           Jenny List (DESY), Howard Baer (Oklahoma)
  7   Connection to cosmology:
           Geraldine Servant (CERN), Tim Tait (Irvine)

Contact information is given on the web page above.  There will be
opportunites to present work relevant to this study at the 2011
LCWS in Granada, at meetings of the 2011-12 European Strategy study,
and at other regional meetings in 2012.

Our knowledge of Terascale physics will advance quickly in the next year.  Possible future projects for high-energy physics will be debated
in the light of this increasing knowledge.   It is very likely
that, when we learn from the LHC about Terascale physics, the insights we obtain will call for the ILC.  In that case, it will be especially important that the case for the ILC be put forward clearly and cogently.  I hope that you will join our effort to do that.

Best wishes,

                     Michael Peskin

     for the Physics common task group of the ILC Research Directorate

 Michael E. Peskin                   |  [log in to unmask]
 Theory Group, MS 81                 |          -------
 SLAC National Accelerator Lab.      |  phone: 1-(650)-926-3250
 2575 Sand Hill Road                 |  fax:   1-(650)-926-2525
 Menlo Park, CA 94025 USA            |  www.slac.stanford.edu/~mpeskin/