Follow-up Comment #4, sr #120758 (project xrootd):

Wilko writes:

It looks to me the issue is that xrd gets redirected after a stat command
(which is the expected behavior).

The first xrd connection is to xrootd.unl.edu which I guess is a redirector.
The first stat that succeeds connects xrd to the server cmsstor144.fnal.gov
because that is the server that has the file. The second stat is now issued
against cmsstor144.fnal.gov and not xrootd.unl.edu and if the server doesn't
have the file it will return an error.
Issuing a "connect" command should connect xrd back to the redirector. The
command prompt always shows the current server xrd is connected to.

The xrd commands isfileonline and existfile will also cause xrd to get
redirected to the data server that has the file which is maybe something
that should not happen.

This may well be the next issue. I am expecting a bug in xrd though because
in the case you mention an error message should be printed, and it is not.

  <http://savannah.cern.ch/support/?120758>

  Message sent via/by LCG Savannah
  http://savannah.cern.ch/