Follow-up Comment #1, bug #79346 (project xrootd):

For our record, below is the reply from Gerri on March 15.

    Hi Andy, Wei,

    This a unfortunately known issue, and one of the main reasons why
we created the 'xproofd'
    executable to confine it to PROOF, while preparing a clean solution.
    The point is that PROOF needs to do some actions on user stuff for
which it needs to acquire
    su privileges. This rather frequent switching of effective user
proved to not work very well
    in ALICE, and we saw a real improvement when we stop it by setting
initially the effective
    user to 'root'.
    The solution is to separate out from the daemon the actions
requiring privileges. We were
    just discussing with Fons on Tuesday the status of this, and we are
confident to have a first
    good step in that direction for the next ROOT dev release, end of
the month.

    Gerri

  <http://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/?79346>

  Message sent via/by LCG Savannah