             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
      Fixed by commit(s):

Details:

Hi!

Again.

I would like to once again raise the issue of static libraries in xrootd. I
have raised this issue before in the old RT tracker, but since you now have
moved you bug tracking here I would like to file it here as well so that the
issue does not get lost.

Static libraries are considered a security problem, and are therefore not
allowed in packages in Fedora. Xrootd currently installs a lot of static
libraries when built. Many of these do not provide a corresponding shared
library, so simply removing all the static libraries after the installation
will leave you with a crippled installation.

It is possible to patch the xrootd sources to make it possible to compiled
all installed libraries as shared libraries. This process is quite intricate,
and involves splitting some source directories in two to resolve circular
dependencies and occasionally moving some source files to different
locations.

I am aware that there is a plan to abandon the current autotools build system
for something else, so the existing patches might not be relevant if this is
done. But I would encourage you to, when you write the new build files for
the new system, make it possible to compile with static libraries disabled
and also make sure that all shared libraries that are installed are properly
linked to all its dependencies so that there are no unresolved symbols.

If looking at a working set of patches for the current autotools based build
system would help you, you can find the current version of the Fedora patches
here:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=xrootd.git;a=tree

  <http://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/?81715>

  Message sent via/by LCG Savannah