Hi Doug,

I think the idea of having a single yum repository won't work because:
1) If the OSG can't control the precise release version of xrootd in the xrootd.org repo, they can't certify the supplemental RPMs ws working.
2) Xrootd.org doesn't want to slow down their release process to wait on OSG Q/A.

Basically, I don't want to unnecessarily tie the two independent groups together: I don't think anyone would be happy.  Let me suggest an alternative:

1) Xrootd.org has an official release repository containing the latest, greatest release.  This is targeted to the broadest community possible.
2) OSG has a release repository containing the set of RPMs they support.  This is targeted to OSG sites.

Each repository provides a separate service to a separate audience; I think tying them together will be painful for both parties.  The above suggestion follows the well-tested upstream/distribution model Linux uses.

Brian