Hi Brian,

2011/6/2 Brian Bockelman <[log in to unmask]>:
> I noticed the following lines:
>
> %attr(-,xrootd,xrootd) %config(noreplace) %{_sysconfdir}/%{name}/xrootd-clustered.cfg
> %attr(-,xrootd,xrootd) %config(noreplace) %{_sysconfdir}/%{name}/xrootd-standalone.cfg
> %attr(-,xrootd,xrootd) %config(noreplace) %{_sysconfdir}/sysconfig/%{name}
>
> (and corresponding ones for user daemon).  I think it's an issue to have the service configuration file owned by the same user as the service itself.  The running daemon should not have permission to write to its own configuration file.
>
> There's plenty of precedence here: do an "ls -l" on /etc.  At least locally, all files are owned by root.

   Well, it has been done this way to fulfill the requirement of
letting a non-root user to change the configuration files of the
daemon. Quite honestly, I find this requirement silly: I cannot really
imagine a cluster admin who would allow her users run a distributed
storage system unsupervised...

> Other than that, my cms packaging branch merged pretty cleanly for this update.  Nits:
> - Why did we change the instance name from "MAIN" to "DEFAULT"?  I fear angry admins coming my way...

   You can still use MAIN if you wish and everything will continue to
work the same way. We thought that DEFAULT looks better also in the
broader context of the named instances:
http://xrootd.cern.ch/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/xrootd/commit/?id=ab9b76f44ea66a2e00ec6cff64f6ca0d8edac1a0

> - The default logrotate options are "-k 7"; I had "-k 7 50m".  Can we use my version?

   It doesn't make any difference to me. Doug?

> - Our default configuration file changed from xrootd.cf to xrootd-clustered.cfg.  Can we change it back?  I again fear changing it twice on our admins in a short time period.

   It think it's more descriptive this way. As you have said, you will
need to have your own configuration anyways, so why does it matter to
you?

> - I have "Obsoletes: xrootd" in my RPM.  Thoughts?

   Yes. Also "Obsoletes: xrootd-devel" in the devel packages. Thanks
for the remainder!

Cheers,
   Lukasz