Hi Matevz,

-----Original Message-----
From: Matevz Tadel
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:19 PM
To: xrootd-l
Subject: cmsd report information

- docs say servers will report their role as:
  <stats id="cmss">
- only "cms" gets actually sent.

2. The docs also mention "cmsc" that should describe the client -- what kind
of
client would that be? I also didn't grep it in the source.
***Thanks for pointing out the "bug". I will correct it.

3. The 'r' contributions from all servers connected to this manager (all
read-only,
so no write ops) sum up to '4058'. So, what is really the meaning of 'sel.t'
and
'sel.r' then?

With time, both 'sel.r' and 'sel.t' grow, but the difference changes (in my
case
it got smaller which seems strange).
***The deviation between (r+w) vs t is noted in the manual. 't' represents
all selections, whether they yield a result or not.  The 'r' and 'w'
represent only those selections that actually yielded a result. So, one
should expect that the divergence would get smaller over time.

What happens if a server disconnects and then re-connects? Will there be a
discontinuity of some kind in those numbers? Or will the manager cmsd just
keep
the host identification and reuse it when the server comes back up?
***The answer is yes but only if the server reconnects within its "drop"
window (by default, 10 minutes).

4. After writing all this ... is anybody actually using this? What would be
reasonable thing to store into MonALISA (or equivalent)? Is cmsd ever the
bottleneck / problematic part?
***No one but you at the moment because these values were not available nor
documented until just recently. In general, the cmsd has never been an issue
since it has such low over head. But, one person's "no issue" is another
person's view of neglect. I suspect that the only thing you would want is
the number of times a host is selected for redirection. I think that Brian
would be interested in how well server redirection shares are actually met.

Andy