On Jun 7, 2011, at 12:04 AM, Andrew Hanushevsky wrote:

> Hi Matevz,
>
> What Brian referred to is the traceid information. It has nothing to do with user identity but a short-hand to differentiate users strictly for logging purposes. The traceid comes via the login protocol which limits the "username" in the traceid to 8 characters and is unchangeable without seriously changing the protocol (which will not happen any time soon). The authenticated information is what should be used if you need to know the exact user.

There's two things here, no?  The wire protocol, and what gets used internally.  It's locally a huge issue to have the 8-character limit for authorization and logging, as almost none of our user accounts are 8 characters (in fact, about 3,000 of them are not uniquely identifiable by using only 8 characters).

Brian